Your Ultimate Guide to a Ketogenic Diet


Today, the pressure to look good and feel healthy is increasing like never before. More people are becoming conscious about how they look and how much they weigh, proven by the surge in demand on beauty products, Botox treatments, lip injections, and diet supplements. One thing that everyone is trying to accomplish — and struggling to, is weight loss.

Weight loss isn’t an easy task. Most people even have it all wrong, thinking that daily exercise can burn their fat rapidly. Truth be told, exercise is only 20% of the process and the other 80% is diet. Weight control is more on changing your diet than exercising and doing heavy cardio thrice a week.

If you want to lose weight (and we know you do!), starting a ketogenic diet is the way to go. Here’s what you need to know about it.

What Is a Ketosis or Ketogenic Diet?

Ketosis or ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, and low-carbohydrate diet. Usually, carbohydrates in food contain glucose which the body utilizes as a primary source of energy. In a ketogenic diet, since it is designed to have a low intake of carbohydrates, the body looks for alternative sources of energy.

Ketosis occurs when the body is in a state of low carbohydrate in the diet. The liver converts the fat into fatty acids and ketones and replaces glucose as an energy source. On a ketogenic diet, the body utilizes fats stored in the body as a source of energy. Insulin levels will drop and fat burning will increase as it is on-demand. As a result, the body has a steady supply of energy while weight decreases over time.

How to Know if Your Body Is in the State of Ketosis

In a state of ketosis, your body will experience the following:

  1. Fruity breath — Because of high amounts of ketones in the body, it can make a person’s breath smell fruity or similar to the odor of a nail polish remover.
  2. Dry mouth and increased thirst — People who are on a ketogenic diet tend to feel that their mouths are dry. So it is essential that a person should be adequately hydrated.
  3. Reduced Hunger — Because of low carbohydrate intake, there is a lesser tendency for unnecessary cravings.
  4. Increased energy — This is due to fats being constantly burned as a source of energy.

health-is-wealthCommon Side Effects of Ketogenic Diet

  1. Cramps — This is due to a lack of minerals like magnesium in the body. In order to avoid this, make sure to increase water intake and incorporate salt into your food.
  2. Constipation — Constipation is due to dehydration. An increase in water intake can reduce the risk of having constipation. Vegetables high in fiber also addresses constipation issues.
  3. Heart Palpitations — When the body is adapting to ketosis, the heart has a tendency to beat faster and harder. This is normal. If the problem persists, increase water intake and incorporate enough salt in the diet.

Do you want to start a Ketogenic Diet?

A ketogenic diet is a diet that consists of high-fat, moderate protein, and low-carbohydrates. It can significantly improve the overall health of a person. Some health benefits involve improvement in body weight, blood sugar, blood pressure, and others.

In a ketogenic diet, strict implementation and commitment are needed in order to achieve a healthier and better version of the body. A quick trip to a health professional is also recommended in order to achieve desired results. At the end of the day, it’s not the size nor the shape of the body matters. Your overall physiological and mental health should always be above the figures and sizes.

About the Author

Medical Disclaimer

The information provided on this website is for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice. The content on the website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, treatment, or advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.


    Scroll to Top